The Satavahanas at Sanchi
ADMIN , November 30, 2020 , LEAVE A COMMENT
It is possibly the oldest STONE monument in India. Your history teacher taught you that it was built by Ashoka the Great of the Mauryan dynasty. And you have seen it in umpteen travel brochures. You know the Sanchi Stupa, of course. Can you conjure up a mental picture of the monument? Does it look like this? Good. Now, guess which part of the structure was built by Ashoka? If you answered “ALL OF IT” – Congratulations; you remembered everything your history teacher taught you. But your teacher was wrong. The right answer is, “NONE OF IT”! Surprised? The original […]
Alai Darwaza – Qutub Minar Complex, Delhi
ADMIN , November 21, 2020 , LEAVE A COMMENT
Inside the Qutub Minar Complex is a very ornate doorway leading to the Qutub Minar – the Alai Darwaza. Did you know that it is believed to be the first true dome built in India? First, a quick introduction to the man who built this structure – Alaudin Khilji. You may have heard of him – a heartless human, a ruthless king, an evil fanatic… There are many stories about his terrible doings. Some say these acts were political necessities, and others swear they were the product of a deranged mind. How much of it is true? This short video […]
Marking History through British buildings
ADMIN , November 17, 2020 , LEAVE A COMMENT
India is dotted with many old British buildings – some grand and iconic like the Gateway of India, and some odd and quirky like the current Vivekananda memorial in Chennai that was once a British Ice House!
- Alai Darwaza – Qutub Minar Complex, Delhi NOVEMBER 21, 2020
- Marking History through British buildings NOVEMBER 17, 2020
- The last great queen of Travancore NOVEMBER 7, 2020
- Brahmi and the evolution of scripts OCTOBER 15, 2020
- The Cambodian King of Kanchipuram OCTOBER 14, 2020
- James Prinsep – the man who read the writing on the wall OCTOBER 10, 2020
- Mariamman – the Village Goddess who travelled SEPTEMBER 30, 2020
- Misnamed Monuments of Mamallapuram SEPTEMBER 28, 2020
India Exists In Her Stories
Join us on a quest for these stories, on walking tours and day trips that zigzag through the very beat and pulse of the city and its many attractions.
We’ll show you the best places to visit and introduce you to the best things to do on your visit.